Of things that have lapsed
So, inspired by a few people around me, like Magnolia and the Book Bonobo, I have realized I need to work on a few things.
  1. I've forgotten how to read. Not literally of course, but the days when I would simply devour a novel or a book of fiction are long gone. I've spent so much time critically analyzing historical documents and centuries-old English literature that I forget what reading for pleasure is like. Having said that, I'm glad I have the skills to analyze, but when was the last time I spent a Saturday curled up in an armchair with hot chocolate and a good/trashy/silly/involving book?
  2. I need to diversify. I look at the books on the Book Bonobo list for this year and realize I've read next to none of them, and have heard so much good about a lot of the other books on the list. I think it's 'cuz I tend to stick to the tried and true (which for me tends to be historical fiction). In the spirit of experimentation and such, I have borrowed A Complicated Kindness from the little lending library we set up in the office here. We'll see how that goes.
  3. My Old English! Magnolia posed a question regarding Old English, I went to look up the answer by consulting the said Old English texts online... and my Old English SUCKS now! Holy crap! I took a full year of the stuff (yes, I read ALL of Beowulf in the original, thanks!), and I can only remember the odd word here and there. Having said that, my grasp of prose is a lot better than that of poetry, so maybe it's mostly just poetic conventions that I need to get my head around again.
  4. My Middle English could probably use a bit of work, too.
  5. I still have books on my bookshelf that I bought or was given more than 2 years ago that I haven't read. Need to get around to those.
  6. I want to catalogue my books. When I get my apartment and have the ability to sort of display a lot of them again, then maybe I'll have some grasp on just how many books I've got, which I can maybe sort of get rid of (heartbreaking, that thought!) and give some old favourites another glance.
3 Responses
  1. Magnolia Says:

    I think the Bookbonobo deserves all sorts of credit. My desire to reconnect with my academic side was definitely a driving force, but her list was the push I needed to revisit my library. The sheer volume of the volumes she reads is incredible!


  2. Sarah Says:

    Don't feel too bad about not reading all the books you buy. Books find you, you don't find books. When they are ready to be opened, they find their way into your life and compel you to open them.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I love that: "books find their way into your life and compel you to open them..."

    So true!!

    I am always looking for something to read - any suggestions??