She sells seashells by the sea shore...
Yesterday some friends and I went to the seaside! We went to this place called Filey, which was pretty neat. We wandered the beach, we ate fish and chips, had those donuts that come from the little flippy machines at fairgrounds (except the ones here aren't mini like the ones in Canada, they're full-sized). We wandered to the end of Filey Brigg. 'Twas awesome. We then moved on to Bempton Cliffs in an attempt to see some puffins (I've never seen one in real life... unfortunately our attempt failed).

The catch?

'Twas only about 10 degrees and bloody well pouring rain.

I've discovered it's a distinctly English sort of thing to not let the weather ruin whatever your plans are for the day (even to the extent that one girl actually brought her bathing suit and took the plunge - nutter!). I may have had mild hypothermia by the time we got home, but it was definitely worth it.

I have my Latin final this evening. Have I touched a book? Nope. Sure haven't. I may quite possibly fail quite badly. Do I care? Not really. It's not actually part of my MA, so I'm not all that worried. I probably should be. I probably SHOULD open a book at some point in the next two hours. Am I going to? No.

The bad weather continued today - was bloody pouring this morningn when I walked to the library, where I ran into R.

I'm also off to Wales this weekend to visit a friend L at Aberystwyth. Hopefully the weather will be decent - I'd really like to climb Snowdon (highest mountain in England/Wales - granted, it's nothing compared to the Rockies, but hey, it's an accomplishment in and of itself, right?) and do some hiking and wandering around and the like.

Right. Off to make some (black) tea. I'm having a caffeine withdrawal headache.

I Am Reading
Academically: Making Women Martyrs in Tudor England (Megan L. Hickerson)
For Fun: The Constant Princess
Pile of Books on my Windowsill: 8. 3 read, 4 unread, 1 half-read.
3 Responses
  1. Sarah Says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. Paul Says:

    I think I met you before - at eh? -http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk/ Or maybe it was a different Tudor Rose.

    Anyway, I don't wanna be a preachy paul but if you're going to Aberystwyth you should go and hear Geoff Thomas at Alfred Place Baptist Church. I've never been there but he spoke at Clonmel Baptist Church once and he was very good. You could classify it as going to an Olde Welsh Chapel.

    I wouldn't go climbing Snowdown in this weather. It's awful wet here in Ireland anyway. Or else go up on the train. We passed through there last year. Only saw the train though - didn't get to go on it.

    Great blog by the way. I found it while looking up Killarney - which isn't far away from me.


  3. Sarah Says:

    Okay:

    Ogdonna and Humpy are the names we've given to two family volunteers, the mother and daughter respectively...perhaps you may know them? They're related to one of our amusement attendants who was previously a j. volunteer himself. KS was promised the delightful mission home, and has sceduled programming in there on the weekends, but opening day came along, and he went to his building, and low and behold! They were in there, with their premixed baking goods and all. They also brought a cigarette lighter and left it in the match box in plain view, and left the ash box so full it could set the house on fire. Not impressed.
    Bicycle races: They were on the sp. events schedule. Unfortunately, all our bicycles were broken. We told them that at the start of March. We told them that at the start of May. We told them that two weeks ago in a programming meeting with our entire street present. But only on Sunday did they actually consider it may be a problem. The solution? Have a penny farthing race, and one of the racers can be my little brother. Uh...not cool. My brother told them he felt unsafe and didn't want to do it, and they called him chicken and told him to do it anyways (an ity bity violation of workplace health and safety). So, KS and I ran beside my brother and his competitor the whole race, so that if either of them fell, someone would be there to catch them. I was not impressed, as you can imagine, and neither was Jacquie, who noted that three years of training had emphasized that you don't ride the penny farthing. And I will tell them that if I get a chance.
    And yeah, it still makes me angry.