Disappointments are to the soul what the thunder-storm is to the air
said Friedrich von Schiller.

So it's good to know that my soul is getting a good dose of ozone-fresh smell. I suppose I'm still a little bitter about the 'loss' of the job, and the fact that the IND _STILL_ hasn't gotten my passport back to me (I call them on Monday if it isn't back by then, 'cuz I really want it back. Screw getting a job, I'd just feel a lot better if I had my passport back in my hands). But in spite of all that, I did wake up on Monday after my giant point-form rant and feel much better about life, the universe, and everything even if I still don't exactly feel happy.

I've been cooped up in the Borthwick Institute for a the last few days now, only emerging at 3:30 this afternoon from THREE straight days of reading documents that look rather like this (in fact, this is one of the books I was reading, just a slightly earlier edition): Holinshed's Chronicles, and Foxe's Book of Martyrs (those being the short titles, because the long titles are a few paragraphs long). Holinshed's Chronicles was a little easier as it was an 1808 edition, and so was in a much more modern typeface and with slightly modernized spelling - the long 's' symbol (the one that looks like an 'f', but that's really an 's') died out somewhere in the eighteenth century, thank god, but really, once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. I was just thankful that I wasn't trying to read someone's 16th century handwriting for three days straight. The woodcuts in this book are absolutely amazing - each one is quite unique (although a lot of them are of people tied to stakes being burnt, so thematically... not so much difference), so this book would have been fairly expensive. Unfortunately the Borthwick's copy of Volume III also has mold in it, but fortunately all the mold in that particular copy is dead, so I was able to use it right away.

I don't know how I ended up in England with a group of friends that couldn't care less about football. I mean, honestly. What is up with that? With the exception of the R (to whom I made mention of potentially watching the friendly on the 30th with Hungary in an email but have yet to hear anything), all my classmates couldn't be bothered with football, and when I mentioned that I was really looking forward to next month and the football to the people from bells, they just looked at me like I was slightly nuts. Which I am. But that's completely beside the point.

The more I think about it, the more I'm entertaining the idea of going into book/paper conservation (esp. book conservation). I met the Borthwick's conservator after discovering the mold in the Foxe, and he was just as nice as the lady at the Minster Library. Didn't get to ask him as many questions, though, but he seemed to really enjoy his job and not get pissed off that I was bothering him. The lady at the Minster has an MLIS (or its equivalent) in historical bibiography and about three other degrees, though... which sound kinda boring (sorry Bonobo)... and Borthwick dude wanders around in a lab coat checking the temperature and humidity in the reading room about three times a day, which seems a bit technical, to be quite honest...

It was a girl from bells' birthday last night... went to her place, sat, ate, chatted, sang show tunes (yup, geeks, the lot of us)... must have ate something manky, though, as I have been feeling like ass since...

And tomorrow it's back to the library (although I will be reading modern stuff this time 'round).

I Am Reading
No change since last time - took a few days off to read Foxe/Holinshed and am back to where I was before I started (with a lot more people dead on the floor than there were last week).
6 Responses
  1. genderist Says:

    The soccer games should be big news! Seems to me that you should be able to wear your colors, find a sportsy-pub, and walk in to a room of people who want you to cheer with them...


  2. Crispy Says:

    hey Kate,
    I've neglected to write and tell you that I will be in england around the 28th or so of september. So YES! let's get together please. I would adore that and appreciate seeing a familiar face, and yours in particular.


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I would just like to point out that I was lost in your blog for about 10 minutes... Mostly because I am in ottawa and on a new computer, but still - rather entertaining. Picture me clicking all over the place and trying not to panic. :)
    I'm reading "Atonement" by Ian McEwan and would like to reccomend it to you as something to read for fun. I think you would enjoy...
    And I am still going to stand up tall for Foucault!


  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one having to recover from drama in their lives. Ick. I wanted to tell you something that I know only you would appreciate, but I got Brokeback for my birthday and I just went back and watched it two nights ago and when I was finished, I was thinking, "What was the big deal?" I guess we got caught up in the film when we saw it in the theatre on opening weekend, but on video, it lost its glitz and glamour...weird. And after all this time...


  5. Anonymous Says:

    i totally want to do an MLIS in historical bibliography, i absolutely adore it and it seems to be a dying art...!!!
    the moldy books also sound awesome, when i was doing my practicum at Special Collections, my favourite book had to be this ecclesiastical text eaten by bookworms (yes, they do exist).
    football sounds so much more peaceful than hockey...


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I love Foxes Book of Martyrs, it impacted me deeply.

    I am a musician who has been impacted by Keith Green and I would be honored if you would check out my music, all music is free to download. I just wanted to share my music with People who love Jesus.

    I don’t want to be a pest, so if this really annoys you, please delete it and accept my humble apology.

    Thanks so much,

    -Sean
    “All my music is free.”