Further to the previous post...
Unfortunately the said interview is in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on June 5. For me to get to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and then back to York, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom, would cost about £600/$1200CDN. Anyone rich out there want a sugar baby? [seriously, what do you call yourself if you're on the receiving end of a 'sugar daddy'? Besides 'whore', I mean...]

I won't be prostituting myself any time soon, though, as even if I _did_ get to Calgary, Alberta, Canada for an interview on June 5, I would need to be able to start the job in July. Hence the 'must have graduated by July' bit. Which isn't going to happen.

I'm rather disappointed at this turn of events. I have currently applied for four positions with the federal government of Canada. This was the only one I actually kinda wanted. The others are just ones I know I can do and that will tide me over until I actually figure out what I want to do with my life (at the moment I'm leaning towards rare book conservator... but that means at least another two more years of school).

It was also the only job that I wanted to prove to myself I could get. I know I can be employed with the federal government. They offered me a job after my BA in Ancient and Medieval History, which I turned down because I was going back to school to get my BA (Hons) History (that's what they get for not actually offering me the job until, like, August, when I'd given up on hearing from them (the position was initially posted in February of that particular year) and decided to go back to school and probably on to grad school). I've also worked for the Federal Government for three summers in various capacities. In short, getting a job with the federal government in Canada isn't all that hard.

I applied to be a Human Resources Assistant. Bah. I hate the thought. But it would keep me in E-town, pay me a decent salary, give me all those posh government benefits...

I applied to the Immigration Officer development program. I enjoyed working for Immigration the summers that I did it. My parents both work(ed) for immigration. I know the material, I like the material, but I'm not sure that it's what I want to do for the rest of my life. I've not yet heard back for this competition.

I submitted my name and resume to the government's general university graduate recruitment inventory. No hits yet (ie: if an employer wants something in particular they type in a certain number of criteria and see who from the database pops up as a potential match).

And finally, the one job I did, in fact want, was the Foreign Service's Immigration Officer development program. Combining the best of many worlds - I have immigration experience and I love to travel. I'd get to see the world. Have a certain amount of travel to and from home paid for each year (I figure if I can handle a year abroad, which, with the exception of a light meltdown before Christmas, I'm managing ok, I can handle postings abroad). I'd get to train in Ottawa (have wanted to move back East pretty much since I left at age 12). I'd get to meet new people. Experience new cultures. Granted, I'd probably get stuck in some not-so-hot location at first (think... Islamabad), but you work your way up. I could have ended up somewhere in Europe, even London, maybe! I'd have constant goals to work towards, I'd never get bored...

AND THE FUCKING TIMING DOESN'T WORK OUT!

Sometimes I think the world's got it out for me. I suppose everyone thinks that at certain points, but at this particular point, I'm certainly thinking it hard.

And the icing on the cake? The pink tinge my arms now have and the inevitable pain that will follow when my body realizes that sitting out in the sun for two hours at noon with no sunscreen is not a good idea.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry about this for a bit, then get back to doing school work.

I Am Reading
Academically: Tudor York (David Palliser)
For Fun: Dark Fire
Pile of Books on my Windowsill: 9 unread, 4 read.
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Yay for finally saying something to him!!
    Boo on work and all things of the sort.
    Foucault isn't that bad... Maybe I am just an addict. *sigh*
    Miss you pretty lady, hang in there and some day we'll chat on the camera thing face to face again and I can mock the world for you.


  2. Llewellyn Says:

    Yeah, jobs and real life and stuff suck. Why can't we just be globetrotters/students for the rest of our lives? Poo poo on that.

    And about the boy, Llewellyn's example didn't pan out so well either, so don't feel bad. At least you now know you have the guts to do that sort of thing. (I know that doesn't make you feel better, but hey...)
    Power to the WOMAN in you girlie!


  3. genderist Says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.