Rare book geek
Yup, that'd be me. In my ongoing quest to figure out what the hell I want to do with my life, I've accepted a temporary volunteer position (1 day a week) at the York Minster Library helping them do a shelf check on their pre-1801 collection. Should only take a few weeks, to be quite honest, as I can probably get one bay done each 1/2 day, and there are only about 20 bays, and there are already two bays done. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I get to spend my Mondays hanging out in a medieval chapel playing with the old books. And there are some pretty intriguing ones. Especially the Latin bits. I can't think of any good ones off the top of my head, but if I do come across anything cool, I'll let you know. Especially awesome are the incunabula (pre-1500 printed books). I'll get to play with those later. And, hey, it'll look good on a CV, right?

Had lunch with the gang today. Have a feeling the brown-eyed boy is into someone else. Ah well. Such is life. *sniff, sigh*

Am rather spaced out... hay fever + allergy meds + decongestant = floaty-brained Kate

Have mangled my feet by walking into town in a pair of shoes I haven't worn in quite some time. Like, literally mangled. The entire bottoms of my feet (well, the heel bit) are one giant blister. Wandered around campus barefoot for the better part of the afternoon. The things we do for fashion.

Am trying to hold off taking more meds but the sinus issues are coming back with a vengeance. Might be time for another dose of Sudafed (it's been about 5 hours since the last...) Have tried to find local honey with little success - mostly 'cuz I haven't been into the village shop in a while, and last time I was in I noticed they had local honey... but I wasn't feeling like ass then.

Have about 3700 words of my dissertation written. All crap. Only 16300 to go!

I Am Reading
Academically: Surveiller et Punir: Naissance de la prison (Michel Foucault - it's just Discipline and Punish in the original, but there are nuances in the original that you miss in the translation...)
For Fun: Still the Scarlet Letter
Pile of Books on my Windowsill: 8. 1 read, 1 half-read, 6 unread
1 Response
  1. genderist Says:

    I would love to play with old books in a midievel chapel! If you feel your ears ringing it's because I'm trying to vicariously be you ... again.