Well, I'm convinced
So I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tonight at the student cinema (basically a large lecture theatre with semi-comfy seats and all the fun of a 'smart' classroom back home, including movie projector that they soup up with massive speakers and such four times a week to show movies for cheap on campus... 2.50, in fact, which even by Canadian standards is less than going to see them in the theatre on a cheap Tuesday, so there ya go).

I was skeptical. Honestly. I mean, to me, the 1971 version (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) is the version I grew up with and that I love. But honestly, this one was an absolute blast! I laughed my ass off through the entire thing. I even got over my aversion to the fact that it wasn't Gene Wilder playing Willy Wonka. In fact, I really came to enjoy that evil glint in Johnny Depp's eye. Priceless. And the squirrels! Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

But I feel a strange, niggling certainty that Deep Roy is going to be known by a generation and perhaps many generations... as the Oompa Loompa, and not much else. *sigh*
0 Responses