Video killed the radio star...
Although not entirely. In fact, the radio star is sitting here, typing away on her blog. Ok, well, perhaps not a radio star, but I did get on live BBC Yorkshire radio today. Mmmhm. That's right. Me.

As mentioned below, the York Colleges Guild of Bell Ringers handbell group went out busking today to raise money for an MS hospice (haven't counted the change yet, but here's hoping we did ok - we went for about two hours before it started to pour rain, at which point it was pointless - couldn't see the music, the bells were getting wet, etc.) at an event in town called Saint Nicholas' Fayre. We were only a little ways into it when this guy wearing a BBC shirt, headset, and carrying a microphone wanders up to us and asks if he can do a radio spot, since it's all about Christmas and handbells are such a Christmas-y sort of thing.

Sure, no problem. We appoint Emma, our quasi-leader, to do the talking, let the dude attempt to play with the handbells, and THEN he asks how he did. He shoves the microphone in the face of one of my co-ringers, who gives him a six out of ten, and then in MY face (I was slightly more generous. Gave him 7 out of 10, considering he was attempting to play whilst staying in contact with the studio, holding a microphone, etc.). The rest of the conversation went something like this:

BBCDude: You're not from around here, are you?
Me: No, I'm from Canada
BBCD: Ah, have you been here long? How long are you going to be here?
Me: I'm here for a year studying at the University
BBCD: Right, and did you do this sort of thing at home.
Me: Mmmhm, I did.

So there you have it. My 20 seconds of fame, ladies and gentlemen. Oh, and it turns out this spot was live, so suddenly I'm glad I've had practice with Lorraine Mansbridge (whose eyebrows are drawn on, by the way) - and I didn't even have to look good for this one! I've been in the media a ridiculous amount this past year (some of you may catch "History of Science" on Access back home - I'm in about 1/2 the episodes, plus that FEP video thing - did it ever air? - and on Lorraine's spot... I feel special.).

Oh, and I taught my new British friends a new word today. We got winter hats with the YCG logo on them... and I said it. And they looked at me blankly.

Tuque. Pronunciation: 'tük, 'tyük. Function: noun. Etymology: Canadian French, from French toque -- a warm knitted usually pointed stocking cap

The end.
1 Response
  1. I didn't know you were a handbell superstar! To use my husband's favorite phrase, that is wicked awesome!

    Did you ever go see Harry Potter? I'm a fan and I wanted you to know that I am 24 and I have already seen it twice...

    If you haven't seen it yet-go!