I had a heart... and then it was gone.
I had a student come by this morning. Not an odd occurence in and of itself, but she asked to see a particular sort of person. The problem? We don't have that sort of person in our office. I asked her what her problem was, since I wouldn't be able to help her until I knew what sort of person she needed to see. That issue taken care of, we determined that she needed to see one of the coordinators.

Two of the four coordinators are off sick today, and one is out of town, including the one for this student's area. I explained this to her and asked if it could wait until Monday. Apparently it couldn't. That left only one possibility. I asked him if he would be available to see her, as the matter was somewhat urgent. Unfortunately he has appointments until 2 p.m. today, so that was the earliest he could see her.

This student was visibly upset about something, but was reluctant to talk to me about it - fair enough. I'm just the receptionist! And when I told her it was going to be 2 p.m. before she could be seen, she was adamant that that wasn't good enough. I explained the situation to her again - that this particular coordinator was the only one in today and that he would see her as soon as possible, and that she would be seen today (if he hadn't been available I would have gone to his supervisor). The coordinator in particular even stopped on his way to a meeting to tell her he was sorry he couldn't see her sooner (and these aren't, unfortunately, meetings he could have blown off).

I was feeling sorry for her. Honest. If she had a problem that seemed big enough to bring it down here to talk to someone about, it's pretty big. I told her that we were doing our best for her, and he'd take as much time as she needed, but it just couldn't happen until 2. I could see the tears ready to roll down her cheeks. I felt bad.

Until she opened her mouth and said, in the whiniest tone possible, "but what about me?!".

I was floored. I understand that it's no fun being put off for a bit when you've got a problem that's really pressing down on you. But to hear this after I'd explained that two of the coordinators were off sick (and believe me, they're sick... one is coughing and sounds like death is only a rattle away, the other made it in for five minutes this morning before she nearly collapsed), and that we would get to her as soon as humanly possible... AND after seeing the coordinator himself and hearing from him that he couldn't see her until later?!

I probably didn't handle it all that well after that. I did my best, but I think a bit of iciness crept into my voice. I apologized again that he couldn't see her immediately, but pointed out it wasn't their fault that the other two coordinators were sick. I firmly told her that I'd gotten her an appointment for as soon as possible and I'd schedule her into the coordinator's calendar right away (which I did).

She left in tears. For which I feel somewhat badly. But I'm getting sick of the complete and utter "me first, I'm the most important creature in the world, I need immediate gratification" attitude that a lot of the students around here are demonstrating. That and their complete lack of respect for authority and their neighbours (I'm privy to all of the discipline reports that occur within the complex).

It really makes me sick, to be quite honest, the way some of these students behave. I know they're in the minority. 99% of the students here don't cause trouble. That's all well and good, but the assholes are the ones that get called into the office and that I see on a semi-regular basis. I seriously wonder where they've been and what they've been allowed to get away with in order to develop these attitudes. I would've been SMACKED (well, maybe only figuratively, except by my high school math teacher who still kept a yardstick she called 'Flex' right next to her desk) at school and at home if I'd come CLOSE to saying some of the things these students say or showing the disrespect they show.

I wish I got to meet more of the good kids.
4 Responses
  1. Kate, several weeks ago (i.e. in the middle of the semester!!!) one of my first-year students came to my office hours to tell me what a horrible teacher I was. Apparently, I'm not only mean, but also don't explain things properly. And the following week, she had the nerve to come to me again to tell me that A) I had raised my voice the week before (no, sweetieheart, believe me, if I'd raised my voice they'd have heard it at the other end of the hallway!), B)that I was a horrible teacher, C) that all of the class thought I was a horrible teacher, D) that I apparently couldn't stand criticism, and E) that she only wanted to help me.

    In the middle of the bloody semester.

    How stupid can people be???


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I still think you have a heart, in fact I don't doubt that at all. It's just one of the fun "perks" to growing up, is realizing that you are not the centre of the world and that there are other things going on.
    Perspective...
    At least I think that's what it's called.
    Most of the time I feel like a bitch when I deal with some of the younger students at school.
    And then I realize - how else are you going to learn?
    *shrug*
    Take the good with the bad eh?
    *hugs*


  3. Magnolia Says:

    When I was teaching, a student, who, granted, was in a very stressful and competitive program that I never would have been able to get into as an undergrad, came up to me and said "yeah, listen, I really need an 'A' in this class." My automatic response was "Wow, I guess you'll have to work really hard then." What the hell did he want me to say?

    There is something about that age... there's a lot of self-examination happening, and sometimes that results in the whole "I'm the centre of the universe" phenomenon.


  4. genderist Says:

    Hey, if you want I'll come by your office and stamp my feet and pitch a fit so that you'll wish for the just plain whiny kids again. :)