Slightly better
Right. So to recover a little from the bitterness and anger (see last post!), I went and did something relaxing and fun. I went to handbell practice. But on the way, I took some photos, because Heslington church, where we practice, is beautiful at night.



To get to the church, you have to walk towards it through a sort of wooded area. It's really eerie, as the trees are all twisted and gnarled. I couldn't actually get the shot I wanted, though, as there's a light attached to one of the trees.


Once you get through the little wooded patch, you're into an open field for a couple dozen meters. If you look up ,you can see the moon shining through the clouds.

Then you get into the churchyard. This is looking back in the direction from which I just came (but it was either that or shoot into the lights of the church). Most of the graves are from about the mid 19th century. If you look closely in the middle right, though, you'll notice fresh flowers. The last burial in the churchyard took place only a couple of months ago. It's still in use. How cool is that?


Around the other side of the church are two of my favourite gravestones. To the left there, the celtic cross. On the middle-right, it looks like an adult's grave topped with a child's. I have yet to actually read the stone yet, but once it gets light enough to do so, I definitely will. And you see all that white stuff on the ground?


Flowers. In February. How gorgeous is that?

2 Responses
  1. genderist Says:

    These are awesome pictures... I'm totally jealous that I can't just go out and take in that kind of history!

    Best you know that I'm now living vicariously through you.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    any chick that is going for her phd and says fuck ten million times is DEFINITELY cool in my book!!! have fun on your trip!!!