Skiving off
Yup, it's a day.

Yup, I have three jobs.

Yup, it's nearly Christmas. There are presents to pay for, parties to attend, and a huge amount of general busy-ness.

And where am I?



Yup.


I'm at home, in my pyjamas at 11:30 a.m. (They're sweet-ass flannel La Senza pjs in brown-and-white Hawaiian print, too, that I got on sale in a random fit of girliness, but maybe that's TMI).

You see, UPS was meant to be bringing me my boxes of stuff that I shipped home from England. Yesterday. And so I was prepared to wait at home until the last possible moment before I had to leave for work so that I could get my stuff, sign for it, and run away (when you work retail from 1:30-9:30 p.m., this is a slightly feasible plan). I watched UPS dude pull up outside the house at about noon, and watched him unload box after box.... (ok, there were only 8 in total) expecting the doorbell to ring any second so that he could collect that all-important signature from me... And then I watched him pull away.

Yup.

He'd piled the boxes around by our garage door, and just left.

Asshole. I didn't even need to be around. And I didn't need to change my shift (I could have been off earlier and avoided the hassle of closing the store). And I... hey, wait a second... there were meant to be 9 boxes...

A quick check of UPS's website confirmed that one box has somehow been diverted to Calgary and won't be arriving until today.

Now, I'd told my boss at the uni that if the boxes didn't come on Monday or if they wouldn't let my dad sign for them if I wasn't there, I'd likely have to wait at home on Tuesday and not come in. So without really telling her a lie, I told her that only 8 of my 9 boxes arrived and that I'd be sitting at home waiting for UPS again today. Which is true - I don't want my box sitting out there in melting snow all frickin day!

It also means I've got a day to just do whatever the hell I want. And I'm not sure where to start. It's my first day completely off since the 2nd of this month, and what do I do first? Do I catch up on television that I've not touched in 2.5 weeks? Do I watch some of the DVDs that have returned home to me? Do I embroider? Do I knit? Do I clean (my bathroom could use a scrubbing... well, the sink anyway... pink eyeshadow and cream sink do not a happy couple make)?

Or do I help decorate the Christmas tree (which is up, lit, but sadly bare of ornaments)?

AAAAAAAAHHHH!!! Stop the insanity!!!!!

Edit - 3:58 p.m. - As it turns out, all I've managed to do so far is have a shower, get dressed, rescue my 9th box from beside the garage (ASSHOLE!), help decorate the tree, and promptly fall asleep on the couch in the living room with my computer playing Christmas music. Having said that, the decorating bit was quite nice - I missed it last year, being in England and all, and so it was like being a kid again, helping Dad decorate the tree...
Labels: , edit post
1 Response
  1. genderist Says:

    Those are the best naps in the universe.