Happiness is not a fish that you can catch*
So I got a Christmas card in the mail yesterday. It was exciting. I love getting mail (in case you haven't already gathered that). It was from my friend A, who visited towards the end of my time in York with her family. In it was a picture she took on that visit - she's a talented photographer, and no, I'm not just saying that because she reads this blog. It's true!

It's a photo of me, sitting at the base of the statue of Constantine outside York Minster, mimicking the grandiose, relaxed posture of someone who knows they've got it made, given to this statue by the sculptor in an effort to represent York at its height of Roman power. I love this photo, and it's only now, after thinking about it for hours and sleeping on it that I've figured out why.

I don't look like a model, I'm not thin, I'm not even looking at the camera - hell, I don't even have my eyes open. It's not really a picture of beauty.

But I don't have my eyes open because I was laughing so hard at that moment that I couldn't keep them open.

I was happy.

A managed to capture me in a truly happy moment. A moment I was just being myself, goofing off in front of friends I hadn't seen in years - but it seemed like I'd only seen them the day before.

I wish I had more of those moments captured on film - I look good.

*Thanks, Our Lady Peace
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    love it :)


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Kate! I'm so glad you feel that way about the picture! I love it too :) That's why I couldn't help but send it along. I also have it on my photo screen thing-a-ma-jig in my apartment.

    Hope you had a good holiday, and I'll be sure to send you some updated contact information soon. The e-mail address I use right now is my work one.. but I intend to sign up with gmail soon.

    Talk to you soon, and Happy New Year dude!


  3. genderist Says:

    Those are the best kinds of friends to have.