I'm back
I don't know what I was expecting from the Isle of Lewis. Whatever it was, though, I didn't find it. *sigh* I explored Stornoway (the largest town in the Western Isles at 6000 people) on Tuesday, and then wandered over to the west coast to take in some of the sights on Wednesday.

Hired a car - it was a Nissan Almera (closest thing in North America is the Versa). We need to import those into Canada 'cuz I liked it. Driving was easier than I thought it would be, although after 9 months NOT being behind the wheel at all, it was a bit of a learning curve again - the worst bit was just the unfamiliarness of the car itself, though, I think, rather than any British foibles (I've figured most of those out from being a passenger).

First stop on Wednesday was at the Standing Stones at Calanais. Pretty nifty. I think I was expecting a metaphysical frisson or something but it didn't happen. Next stop was Dun Carloway broch, an iron-age tower. Also pretty nifty. Next was Gearrannan blackhouse village - pretty cool, but as I was there in the off season it wasn't all that exciting. I think I was again expecting a metaphysical frisson of some sort or other as I looked at the sort of house in which my great-grandfather would have been born. Similar reaction with the Blackhouses at Arnol. Took the obligatory picture of teh Whalebone arch and was back in Stornoway by 4 p.m.

The ride back on the ferry was nice - I slept for the first hour, drugged up on Boots' Travel Calm tablets... I was nearly sick on the way in, as the sea was extremely choppy (even by people who regularly do that trip's standards), and I think it was just sheer willpower that kept me from puking. The trip back was much calmer and much more tolerable, although that may be because I really wasn't having any luck keeping my eyes open.

Am in Inverness for one night - am glad it's only the one night as the B&B isn't all that hot - the one in Stornoway was much nicer - before heading to Edinburgh for the weekend, and perhaps a bit of Monday as my friend B/H and her boyf are coming up from London on Monday a.m.

Take care all,

-K
2 Responses
  1. Crispy Says:

    ah, tudor rose, you will never ever know how happy you made me by texting me. Not only is it my first text EVER (recieved or sent), but it was the first time anyone phoned me in England. Thanks.


  2. genderist Says:

    I'm so glad you're having a good time! Keep living it up for those of us who are still land-locked...