Home today
Well, folks...

I'm sitting in Heathrow airport waiting for my flight's gate to be announced and I'm bored as all hell. Thank God that I've got the laptop back and am able to use the lovely services of BT Openzone to kill some time.

I'm having very mixed feelings about today in general. I've had a great last month in the UK, seeing friends, meeting new people, catching up with people I hadn't seen in a long time. I was in Cambridge until yesterday evening and so got to see our beloved Crispy and my friend T... It was probably the best time I'd had in my month of touring so far, just because I was surrounded by people I knew well (not to mention that Cambridge is pretty damn awesome - I wish I'd had more self-confidence when applying for the MA and actually applied for Cambridge and Oxford - I might actually have gotten in!... Ah well, maybe if I ever get back on the academic bandwagon...).

I do love England. The weather's great... the people are mostly friendly, and in spite of their oddities (who the hell puts SUGAR on popcorn or sweetcorn on pizza?!?!?) have been quite welcoming for the most part... This island is beautiful, and while there are things that drive me nuts about it, it's mostly the things that I take for granted at home, I suppose - space, for example. You just don't get as much in England. And yet at home I whine about how far I have to go to get places. Can't win, I guess. I love pub culture. There's something about just being able to sit and CHAT whilst drinking... I love that people care about football (How the HELL did Chelsea win last night, by the way?!?!).

I really miss my friends and family though, and can't wait to get back to see them... but I'm nervous. It's been 10 months since I've seen them all. A lot has probably changed. A lot can happen in 10 months. Where am I going to fit in to it all?

I'm going home to NO plan. I have no job lined up, no idea what to do with myself, nothing in my future for the first time. It's fucking scary, to be blunt.

Anywho, the ZoneAlarm update wants me to restart my computer, so I'm off to do that, and the next time I post I will be in North America, shivering in the +2 degree weather, and probably wishing I was back in England.

Go figure.
3 Responses
  1. Welcome Home Kate!


  2. Anonymous Says:

    yay! Come masquerading, m'dear. How exciting to see you! I hope sleep comes more easily to you...


  3. Anonymous Says:

    You were able to get popcorn with sugar in England????? Whaaaaa! Not fair! No sugared popcorn in Ireland during my stay abroad which made visits to the cinema really wretched.