Itch update
Ah yes.

The itch.

Seems, after a visit to the doctor, that I'm allergic to something. Go fucking figure. But what? Lord only knows.

May be that a long standing intolerance for pine nuts decided to explode. I did, after all, have pesto the night I began to itch like a... well, we just won't go there. But more likely it's my penchant for having delayed reactions to things. Yup. My brain might be smart, but my body's stupid. Examples:

The year: 1996. The place: Cuernavaca, Mexico.
Kate is tidying up the room in which she is staying. There are things strewn all over. She goes to pick up a towel that's hanging on the back of a chair and feels a sharp pain in her left ring finger. The towel falls to the floor and Kate turns to her roommate in fear. "I think..." she says, "I've been stung by something. Can you check the towel?". Some poking and prodding later, a scorpion has been discovered and Kate is whisked off to the Red Cross Centre for observation. "It's like being stung by a bee," they say about this particular variety of scorpion. "You're either allergic or not. We'll know in about an hour." An hour passes, Kate goes back to the room, goes to sleep. Two hours later, Kate wakes up, throat tingling, hand swollen to an incomparable degree. Turns out I WAS in fact allergic.

The year: ? (I was in my early to mid teens). The place: church.
Kate mentions that she's been itching to a friend of the family who also happens to be a nurse. Nurse takes one look at her and seems convinced. It's an allergic reaction. To what? Oh, that's right, to those antibiotics Kate started taking 2.5 weeks ago that the doctor told her would show any side effects within a week.

So the only thing I can think of that would be causing me to scratch like a dog with fleas would be this: Instead of doing laundry MORE THAN A WEEK AGO with 'biological washing powder', I used the cheaper 'non-biological'. And really, that's all I can think of that would be causing the problem. It's either that or the fabric 'conditioner' (translation: softener). So I've tried switching soap and re-washing most of my stuff without softener. We'll see how this goes.
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Urgh. Poor you! I hope it'll go away soon!


  2. Llewellyn Says:

    Ah Kate... I have to laugh... I'm just wondering if when you nearly chopped off your finger you waited until a supervisor happened to notice you were bleeding to let them know...
    "Oh nothing Mike, just an 'axe'ident!"
    *grin*