The day out

The Shambles.
Arguably York's most famous street, Shambles is a derivation of the medieval "Fleshambles". It was the butcher's street (Flesh...ambles... hahaha! They were punny, those medieval Yorkshiremen). There are still all sorts of meat hooks outside the buildings and the upper storeys are notoriously close together - they say you can shake hands across the street... although you'd have to be dangling out the window with someone holding onto your ankles and would need really impressive muscle tone in your abs and back muscles...

Merchant Adventurer's Hall. It's a 14th-century timber-framed building, the largest still in existence in the general geographical area of York. It's the quintessential medieval guildhall with all sorts of meeting areas, dining hall, undercroft, chapel...

18th Century Shoes
At the York Castle Museum, they actually have a really lovely fashion collection, for a museum that's pretty tiny and not particularly impressive. These shoes are my favourite ones there.

1890s bathing suit

Feel like going swimming? One of the museum's fashion acquisitions is a bathing suit from the 1890s. I'm so impressed with the sheer lengths they went to to keep people covered, although with the short sleeves and just-below-the-knee length of the pants bit, it's definitely bordering on the 1890s definition of risque.

Viking dude at the York Dungeon

Went to the York Dungeon. I'm afraid that you can't actually creep me out or gross me out any more. I seem to have managed to desensitise myself to that. As such, the Dungeon was fairly disappointing. The only way to scare me is to startle me, apparently, and there wasn't much of that going on. I felt like I was getting a 9th-grade English history lesson whilst there. Ah well.

1 Response
  1. I love the pictures that you have been putting up lately! It has been great to see parts of the UK.

    One of the only things that has ever creeped me out is the wax museum, have you ever been in one? I don't know why I think they are scary, there's just something about G.W. Bush being that life like that scares me...