Abide with me
The scene: Montreal. I've never been there, except in flights of fancy. But today it's foremost in my thoughts. Mostly because it's foremost on CTV Newsnet at the moment as well. Last weekend a firefighter was killed there whilst battling a blaze in an apartment building. CTV is showing the thousands of firefighters and emergency response personnel making their way into the Basilica of Notre Dame. And for some reason I'm bawling. Nope. It's not some sense of public responsibility and loss on a general level. It's not that I know some firefighters and feel like it could have been them.

It was the music.

It was nothing special, particularly. Just some marching band. Not a particularly good marching band. Playing "Abide with me", a hymn I've whined about over and over and over, having had to sing it pretty much every Sunday all summer.

But somehow, on this occasion, it was really beautiful. And when the band went into the church and the bells began to ring, I just about lost it.

I think it proves that my music is about as close to religion as I get. I go to English Cathedral church services not becuase I'm Anglican, but because the music (not to mention the setting) is beautiful. I play handbells because they're such an amazing and unique experience. Most of my clearest memories are associated with a song of some sort. I don't know that I believe in any sort of God, but I do believe in the power of music.
1 Response
  1. genderist Says:

    Two Christmases ago I asked my husband to go to church with me a couple of times in December... we hadn't found a church we enjoied since we'd moved, so we never were regular goers in this state. But it was Christmas and it seemed like the right thing to do... but when the choir sang at the beginning of the service, I started bawling. I cried until we left.

    He's not asked me again if I wanted to go -- and I've not asked him to take me.

    It was the music, but not so much the music as the memories tied to it. So I totally understand where you're coming from... I sang in the choir and played handbells at church... and was in band, too.

    Music's my thing. And it doesn't matter how hard I try to find another outlet, I always come back to it. It finds me. :)

    Thanks for your comment on my angry post. I'm a nurse and have done some suicide-awareness stuff, too. None of that stuff worked on him. :) And really I think I'm too close to be effective... but I appreciate your willingness to help.