Of jabbing... or not
So late last week, I came down with a cold, as outlined in my post a couple of days ago. It got me thinking about some other things regarding my health. Top of the list:

It's here. The H1N1 vaccine has finally arrived. It's available. It's out there for me to receive, for free, should I so choose. Heck, so is the regular seasonal flu shot, for that matter.

And I am so very on the fence about the whole thing.

I usually get the flu shot, as I do have (very mild) asthma, and my dad's a senior citizen. But, my god, are the 3+ hour lineups outside in the cold really going to be worth the possibility that I might be protected? But if I don't go soon... will there be enough?

Oh the dilemma.

Thoughts?

(In other news, I had my last two wisdom teeth taken out 1.5 hours ago. Let's see how I feel in another couple of hours when the freezing wears off...)
4 Responses
  1. Mark Says:

    H1N1 and it's possible 'catastrophic' effects were pumped through the media here in Australia like it was the thing that was going to kill us all. It's blown waaay out of proportion. We're just finishing up our flu season here and honestly - it's doesn't seem to be worse than the flu. If you're fit, healthy and young (sounds like you do a lot of running) - then I wouldn't worry about it. Jus keep hydrated and you'll be fine. H1N1's severe effects (in Australia anyway) only seemed to happen to those with pre-existing conditions (i.e. heart trouble, obesity etc).

    That's just my 2 cents anyway - hope it helps with your decision.

    :-)


  2. Dr Vegas Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. Dr Vegas Says:

    Hi!

    I haven't had it but most of my colleagues have. Interestingly, in the UK it's only being offered to healthcare workers as the government probably can't afford to give it to everyone.

    This is a good summary (although it is biased and I am still worried enough about the risks not to have it myself):

    http://www.newscientist.com/special/swine-flu-myths-that-could-endanger-your-life


  4. essay best Says:

    I can understand how irritating and annoying is to have the flu shot and running nose. I also face this issue in the winters. I do use hot stuff to get saved from this flu.