Of dismay and being at a loss...
29Oct2008

So.

I have a friend.

She tried getting a job with a police force, and for various reasons, it didn't work out. She was bummed. Seriously bummed. But we were around, we let her take things as she needed to take them and tell us what she needed to tell us when she wanted to tell us, offered support, advice, guidance. She picked herself up, moved on, and applied for another job.

I'm not going to lie, I feel partly responsible, since I was one of the folks who suggested this option to her.

She was sent home from training today for failing a test in their stringent recruitment process (by 4%. I understand that they have stringent cut-off points for these tests, but still... 4%? Could she not retake?).

I am completely at a loss as to what to say or do for her this time around. I feel that while I can offer support, that's about it, as my advice and guidance have obviously not been what they needed to be. I feel like I should be doing something, but what the hell is there to do?
2 Responses
  1. Patricia Says:

    You just start again with the supporting, advising, encouraging. Maybe the next job will be the right one, and if it didn't work out this time, there was a good reason for that. Maybe she needed this experience to succeed at the next recruitment. But she will need you, that's for sure. And there's really not a lot else you can do!


  2. genderist Says:

    Sometimes the best thing you can do is offer support -- just let her know that you care.