Of Worries
19Oct2008

So I don't know why Blogger won't show the date that I make posts any more, now that I've switched to the new template, but whatever. Hence the date at the top of the post.

I'm worried, my friends. And the bitch of it all is that there's nothing I can do about the worries - it's all beyond my control.

  • Dad's got another spot. Fingers crossed it's just that - a spot, and not the skin cancer again. But I'm worried about it.
  • Mom's overworked. To the point where it's actually affecting her health. She's always had low blood pressure... her normal is medically generally a bit low. These last few weeks it's been high. Not just slightly elevated back into the 'normal' range, but into the 'high' range, even medically. She's never going to earn a full pension - she hasn't worked for the government long enough - but if she retires before 65 she'll be penalized even further. That means nearly 6 years to go for her. I'm worried she won't last that long.
  • The program I'm on for work didn't do any recruiting this year. With the economic uncertainty, it makes me worry that we're heading back into the layoffs of the mid-90s again within the next few years, and let's face it, "indeterminate" status just means that they don't know your end date, not that they can't fire you. Hell, even if they don't fire me, they could end the program and shuffle me off to somewhere I don't want to be... And that worries me.
  • Going in to the doctor tomorrow to get the results from those lab tests (yes, I've put it off this long so I wouldn't have to take sick time to go and get them). And I'm worried about what those results will be. (Update - it's low iron levels. I now have a giant fistful of pills to take every day, but hopefully they'll make me feel better. 17h49 20Oct08)
  • Still haven't got the money back from my latest drug plan claims or my latest travel claims - and I could really use that in terms of cash flow (no, I'm not poor, but the raise only kicked in this past week, and between all the travelling I've done and charges I've had to put on various credit cards, I could use the cash). I'm responsible for paying off my corporate card, even if I haven't gotten my travel claim back - and that worries me.
I guess what it boils down to is that I'm worried about the future, be it short, long or medium-term, and there's not a lot a person can do about that.
0 Responses