Well, shit.
I got a job offer.

I have no idea what to do.

It's with a department I don't really want to work for. If I don't take this, though, will I get anything better?

Professionally, it's a godsend. I mean, it's management. I may have to move somewhere else in Alberta, but from what I can see, the positions would at least be in this province - I might not have to move at all! Even if I did have to move to Calgary or something... I've lived further away before. The cost of living there isn't any more expensive than it is here, really.

They've given me until 10 a.m. our time on Wednesday to accept or decline the offer.

I don't know why this is bothering me so much.

My god. It's all fine in theory, doing something with my career I've never done before, but when it actually begins to realize itself? I'd just sort of resigned myself to being stuck at my current position a little while longer...

Dammit, I don't know what to do.
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I wouldn't hang on to it for fear of nothing better coming along.
    Trust your gut - the first reaction is generally the right one.
    Besides - if your first instinct was to build a pros/cons list to try and calm the insecurity, then perhaps pay attention to that...


  2. Magnolia Says:

    As a manager in a field COMPLETELY not related to any of my personal interests, my advice is to go for it. It's not all about the subject matter. It is also about building a certain skill set that will bring you closer and closer to that ideal job situation where subject matter and position and skill all come together. And no job is ever a lifetime commitment. If you take it and it is really a bad fit for you, you can always make a graceful exit, stage left. But, nothing ventured... Just my 2 bits.


  3. Patricia Says:

    I started out this comment by writing a joke about you not wanting to leave The Body Shop and that being very disturbing... and then thought better of it. *grin*
    This job you were offered means going up the ladder. As far as I've gathered, it can't really be worse than your current position...
    You're young, you're independent, you're flexible and you're adventurous (yes your are!) - I'd say go for it. You don't have anything to lose, do you?