Of not being amused
So I'm in Ottawa. Met up with a friend last night, and had an absolute blast chatting over dinner. H is out here for her job (she went on a program similar to the MTP a few years ago) and is absolutely loving it, and I can see why. Wandering around the city last night was lovely. I would share photos, but the internal memory card reader on my comp hasn't been functioning properly since I spilled soda on it at Pearson a couple of years ago, so I'm working on it and praying that it works today! It's finally registering that a memory card is actually IN there, so that's one step ahead of where it usually is. It is, however, telling me that the card isn't formatted, and I'm not about to format it now so that I lose all the pics that are on it! I mean, I understand that it's a 1G card and that there's lots of stuff on it, but whatever...

So anyway. Sleep was... well... better than some sleeps I've had in hotels, but still not great. Ordered room service for breakfast - first time I've ever had room service. Felt a bit decadent. Then wandered over to the conference centre where the interviews are occurring. After a brief intro from someone... still not sure who that guy was... it was off to the feeding frenzy of booths. I've dropped off resumes with about 8 different government departments that hadn't already asked for interviews (only ONE?!?! What is up with that?), set up interview with two of those departments, and am waiting anxiously for the other six to call me and set something up. We shall see how it goes.

So now, I've got nothing to do until our next session at 12:20, besides have lunch. I mean, the last department I talked to - all their interview positions were already filled (yes, some departments were granting interviews on a first-come, first-served basis rather than actually looking at resumes and calling us for interviews later), so I'm on a waiting list. You don't get there early, you're SOL, and there's not much point in my being there (at least that's the impression I was given today) after an hour or so. I'm not amused. Here I am in my suit (and I can't really change - I have my first interview today at 2:10), there's nothing to do (all the museums within walking distance are closed on Mondays - whattup with that?!), and I have only three interviews. It's kind of discouraging, really. Makes me wonder why the government is spending all that money on this and why I'm even here, really. They could have just interviewed me over the phone or something and gotten this over and done with. Ah well. I got my resume in with all the departments I wanted to, have an interview with one department I _REALLY_ want and two with departments I could live with, and as for the rest, we'll see. In the meantime I shall pluck it up, do my best in these interviews, and do my damnedest to land myself a job!

The one really awesome thing about being here, though, is that it's Gatineau. Everyone speaks French (almost) so I'm getting to at least hear more French than I usually do. I've spoken to some of the hotel staff and some of the interviewers in French as well, so I'm getting a bit of practice, which is nice.

I've given up on the card reader for now, and will be going for lunch in a bit. More as things develop later today!
Labels: edit post
0 Responses