Of music and motion...
Well, folks... it's been a busy, busy week. And it's going to be a busy, busy week.

It started on Sunday with rehearsal at the Jubilee for the Alberta Ballet/Edmonton Symphony Orchestra/Edmonton Opera/Richard Eaton Singers co-production of Mozart's Requiem. Which I am singing in. And then there was a RES rehearsal on Tuesday. And a Requiem rehearsal on Wednesday. And our dress rehearsal on Thursday, and then yesterday, finally, the performance went up.

I'm really sad that there are no photos. We look awesome. Despite the fact that I swelter on stage for 45 minutes under a felt (yes, felt... like that stuff you played with in arts and crafts when you were a kid... or that you continue to play with as an adult to make such useful items as purses, hats, and miniature stuffed animals...) robe, I'm loving it. This is totally just reinforcing my belief that I should get back into performing on a more dramatic level. Being in the Richard Eaton Singers is certainly good, and gets me singing again, but I miss the drama of musical theatre and opera. Much more opportunity for individual expression. There's another performance tonight. It went over well last night (one of the perks of anonymously taking the LRT back home along with all the patrons after the show is that you get to overhear their conversations) in spite of the choreographer's somewhat controversial agenda (he has unashamedly called it a homage to all those involved in modern warfare, esp those in Iraq).

So, yeah, another show tonight; I'm super sad that there were only two! It's such a letdown when something you've worked so hard to accomplish finally ends, really. The high when you're performing is amazing, but afterwards...

Then I come back home and finish packing.

Yes, packing.

I don't know where the last month or so has gone, but tomorrow I get to the airport bright and freaking early to fly off to Ottawa for my set of job interviews for the Management Trainee Program. I'm a bit nervous, as the rehearsals this week mean I haven't had much of a chance to review information on all the departments that are participating, but whatever. I'll take my laptop and do what reading I can in Calgary when I'm stuck in the airport there on a two-hour layover. Geesh.

I get to visit my grandmother this week as well. She lives down in southern Ontario, so after the interviews are done on Tuesday, I fly down to Toronto, spend the night with my friend and then my mother will come get me on Wednesday morning to drive me to my grandmother's place (mom flew down to grandma's today...). Grandma is 93, hard of hearing and seeing, and we have little to nothing in common. I'm hoping, though, that I can set my laptop up (I have an awesome free MP3 recording program) and have her just talk about her childhood and life as it was back in the 20s and 30s, as much as she can remember - oral history is so valuable and we don't have enough of it, really, from ordinary people.

Fingers crossed that it all goes well - the snow this morning didn't bode well for my mom's flight!

I Am Reading:
Quasi-Academically:
Le Morte d'Arthur (Malory)
For Fun:
The Success Principles (Jack Canfield)
Pile of unread books on my bookshelf: way too many...
2 Responses
  1. Patricia Says:

    Good luck!!!


  2. george Says:

    My fingers are crossed for you. Have a safe flight and a good time in TO. I hope that you get a bit of time to play between exams and interviews. Be well....