Of weddings
So, I'm feeling better. Still tired, but at least my face is my own. Yay!

Having gotten that out of the way - I am attending the wedding of a co-worker today. I have known her not even six months. I don't know her family, and aside from my fellow co-workers, I don't know her friends. I mean, I'm very happy for her - she's a lovely person, and her fiancé's really quite nice as well - but I'm never a big fan of the whole wedding reception shmooze thing. The ceremony, I can handle. You all just sit there, it's pretty anonymous who's in the crowd, you don't need to talk, just follow the program...

But the reception...

I'm not a particularly social person, I don't just randomly introduce myself to strangers very often... so I will have a grand total of 4 people to talk to at the reception (which is actually an improvement over the last time I went to a wedding) - not counting the bride and groom. Let's face it, at any reception the bride and groom are a write-off for any sort of conversation lasting longer than

"beautiful wedding"

"thanks, and how are you?"

"quite well, really... you're holding up all right? Shoes still not hurting"

"no, they're fi... oh, sorry, there's uncle Sylvester, I really must go say hi..."

*sigh* And it's a LOT colder than I thought it would be today. It apparently feels like -2 degrees with the wind out there. So much for those black strappy sandals I bought. Hopefully it will have warmed up to the 16 they're calling for by this afternoon. And three guesses where my long, black, formal-ish wool coat is... Oh, that's right, at the cleaner's. Sonofa.

Ok. Kate. Step back, take a look at this. You are going. You are sharing in your friend's happiness. Quite bitching about your own potential misery, and start focusing on her undoubted happiness. Be happy for her (and I am, really I am).

And if worse comes to worse, and I'm finding the socializing totally unbearable, I can leave early. I am still slightly under the weather after all, and I do have to get up for work in the morning.
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I hear you, loud and clear. Was at a wedding last September where I knew no one but the groom. And on top of all that, my invitation didn't include "and guest." That's how well we know each other I guess... *sigh*
    Try and have some fun today!


  2. genderist Says:

    It is always fair to leave early. :)

    Especially if you're not having any fun.


  3. HB Says:

    Get drunk off your ass. The wedding will be a WHOLE lot better