Of internet's evils
So... I did something stupid. I decided to Google "high thyroid antibodies".

Never ever search Google for medical information.

It has officially scared the shit out of me, as it seems that in many cases, the immune system just ATTACKS the thyroid, completely destroying it as time progresses. Not a particularly uplifting diagnosis.

The doctor I saw the other day wasn't my usual doctor, and in all honesty, she had to google the test I was administered before she could explain the results to me as well, so that didn't exactly fill me with confidence. I may go back to the usual doctor next week just for a checkup. I feel a bit like I'm wasting their time, and I realize that doctors can't be human encyclopedias, but nonetheless...
5 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    doctors don't know everything, this is something i have learned over the years. and sometimes seeing more and more of them just makes things more confusing. but then every now and again you find a gem that understands or has the answers. and there's a scary side to any illness...but there's also the 'take one pill a day and it's under control' side to an illness too. and hopefully that's the side you fall on. and remember...don't trust everything you read on the internet my friend!!


  2. Magnolia Says:

    The internet: a million miles wide and only an inch deep. Don't forget that.

    Hold off on the panic until you consult with someone you trust!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    eff you internet, eff you...
    Sorry I missed tonight, hope it was a fabulous adventure that you will all make me jealous of at some point. ;)


  4. genderist Says:

    Antibodies just mean that they'll have to do a different kind of test to measure your thyroid function.

    It's not time to panic yet. Trust me on this... I'll tell you when it's okay to panic. The thyroid gland is overrated. :)


  5. Kate, I hope your usual doctor will be able to put your mind at rest and can suggest something to help with the antibodies.

    ((((Hugs))))