Of illnesses
So...

I woke up on Saturday morning at 5:30, with pain in my jaw. I went and looked in the mirror. There was a strange face looking back.

Whatever is going on with my lymph nodes (be it bacteria, be it viruses) has caused my face and neck to swell to about twice their normal size, and there's no sign of it abating as of yet. I'm on antibiotics, just in case, but odds are it's viral. I've seen two doctors, and both seem to agree that this should just go away on its own... in 5-10 days.

Throw a little thyroiditis into the mix, and you have me the way I am right now (the blood work has come back negative for anything more seriously wrong with my thyroid).

Oddly enough, I was mostly symptom free otherwise, until today. The aches and pains of flu and viral infection have set in, combined with the desire to sleep for pretty much most of the day.

At this point, though, it's vanity that's kicking me in the ass more than anything else. I feel like a freak. I have the face of someone at least 50 pounds heavier than myself. I'm scared. I looked in the mirror and the face that looked back wasn't my own.

I'll put up with the aches. I'll put up with the chills. I'll put up with snot, with vomiting...

At this point I just want my face back.
5 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    oh hon, that is just not fun. i hope that the swelling goes down quickly...and that the face in the mirror becomes familiar soon


  2. Sarah Says:

    Oh sweetie. I hope you feel better!


  3. Magnolia Says:

    Beautiful Kate,
    I have some experience with the whole temporarily losing your own face thing. I know it sucks. But it will go away, and the silver lining will be a renewed appreciation for the beauty of your own jaw line! Let us know if you need anything!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    *hugs*
    Did Monty Python help?
    They usually help...


  5. genderist Says:

    Oh, honey! I hope you get to feeling better soon-