Is it wrong that I seem to _like_ working retail?
Seriously.

I'm enjoying my work at The Body Shop. Whattup with that? I have goals that I can aspire to (ie: dollar value of sales I make...), goals that I can accomplish... goals that are tangible and that I see fulfilled in every end-of-day report, goals that I feel a little sad when we don't make (ie: today we were aiming for a certain amount, we ended about $1500 short of that).

The lighting in the shop mimics natural daylight, so it feels like I'm out in the sun each and every shift. My coworkers are nice, if some of them are a little young (ie: 17 and 18). No one has gotten pissy about the errors I've made yet, as we're all just learning. Even the district manager is supernice, and I ran into her at a completely unrelated store the other day, and she made time to chat for a few minutes! Having her in the store monitoring us is a pleasure!

I wish there was a way to make a career of it. But unfortunately it doesn't pay as much as I would need to, oh, say, make a living. I've been asked to interview for a position with the University (non-academic, I'm afraid - in the Housing office) over here, but don't want to take it until January so that I can continue to work at The Body Shop and get in some hours at FEP for Reflections. It pays nearly twice as much an hour as TBS does, but I'd have to commute in to Edmonton for it... We'll see how things pan out...

On a completely different note, I've learned that a glass of wine after 8 hours on my feet with very little to eat makes things very fuzzy...
6 Responses
  1. Crispy Says:

    That's awesome. i'm really glad you are enjoying the job you got. And if you did get that other job after Christmas, maybe you'd be on your way to getting your own place sooner, meaning that you wouldn't have to commute. if that's what you want of course. Thanks for all the sympathetic sickess comments, I appreciate it a lot.


  2. Sarah Says:

    I'm glad that you are enjoying this situation--I am not so good in the wide world of retail, so I admire those who are. Good luck in your other job aspirations. This may be your chance to break from L'Hotel de Mum et Dad.



  3. Anonymous Says:

    Hooray! Glad you're enjoying the "tangible" side of work. But please don't become one of the pushy sales people that pounces on people and rubs lotion on their hands before they say express an actual interest.

    You're working with such a great product though... mmm coconut body butter.

    Amy


  4. Dr Vegas Says:

    I agree. I worked at KFC (part-time!) for 3 years and if I'd stayed I'd have been manager of a big store by now. What stopped me was not any aspirations to stardom but rather the fact that I would make enough money and progress anywhere mentally.

    However, I bet KFC will still be going strong long after the NHS goes down the pan.


  5. Anonymous Says:

    http://www.businesstwobusiness.blogspot.com/