La prochaine jour...
Right, so. Re-reading last night's entry, I'm very glad that I did not say/do anything particularly stupid. I did not drunkenly text anyone, although it was tempting. I was pouring my own tequila - the three of us finished off a 500 mL bottle, but I think I maybe had 100 mL of it - even drunk I'm conscious of all the alcohol awareness stuff that Residence Life stamped onto my poor little brain.

And now that it is the day after, I remember why I don't often have more than a couple of drinks at a time. I don't get particular symptoms of a hangover (no headache, no mouth tasting like socks, no sensitivity to light, no nau... ok, well a bit of nausea) just a general feeling of blech. Although now that I've eaten even the blech is fading quickly. Nonetheless, the blech is enough that I don't think I will be repeating on Saturday for my birthday.

In fact, I've no idea what to do on Saturday for my birthday. Except open presents. My birthday last year was spent cleaning my apartment after I moved all my stuff out so that I wouldn't get a damage bill from the U of A. My best present that day was the massive cut I gave myself on the venetian-blind-like slats of my closet door (ok, that's a bit mean, my parents did get me some cool stuff). Didn't even bother with cake. Hell, I haven't done anything for my birthday in years (wait, I went to Julio's the year before...). I'd like this year to be at least slightly different.

Meh, I'll figure something out.


Ironically enough, after initially posting this and going on about the alcohol information pumped into my head by Residence services, I popped into one of the campus bars (for FOOD, people - the bars double as eateries during the day) and found THIS:




Ah, "Social-Norming" campaigns... in which the university tries to make you feel better about yourself if you don't drink yourself stupid on a regular basis. They had a similar campaign at the U of A. Ok, honestly, I know the merits of a social norming campaign, but they seem sort of like one giant guilt trip. I know a lot of students, especially first-years, who might wonder if, because they failed that ONE exam because of being pissed the night before, they're complete failures/alcoholics/odd/abnormal/have a problem, etc. Like any other advertising campaign, people need to be well-informed about ALL aspects of the issue. And social norming campaigns tend to ignore/guilt trip the 10% of students who HAVE let alcohol interfere with their schoolwork even once. THAT, in spite of what these bloody things may make a person believe, is not the end of the world. If it is habitual, yes, it's a problem. But this beer mat, by emphasizing the words "have never", really screws with a person's head.

Right, rant off - I DO understand the importance of educating people about the responsible use of alcohol, but this seems like a potentially counterproductive way to do it.


I Am Reading
Academically: We'll see if I feel up to it, but I'm going to have to dig into Treason in Tudor England tomorrow for sure, if I don't today.
For Fun: Hudson's English History (by Roger Hudson - cute book with all sorts of random English history facts. Like what you could get pilloried for in London in 1419).
0 Responses