Of recent trips for work...
At the end of July I was sent to Victoria for work, and then was in Vancouver towards the end of August for a day. We were conducting interviews for a BC/AB-wide process, so I didn't anticipate that I'd have much in the way of free time. I was wrong, and actually had a fair bit of time to kill in Victoria. But, of course, not anticipating free time, I hadn't taken my camera. Go figure. So I decided to try and find one of the old-school disposable cameras that used to be so amazingly awesome. I looked in drugstores, I looked in tourist shops - finally I actually went into a specialized photography store, and they had some. So I got to take some photos after all.

First, the Fairmont Empress, Victoria. As I stood outside in the sweltering 30 degree heat, I wondered what it would be like to stay in a Fairmont... I've been in the lobbies/bars/restaurants, but staying at one is really out of my budget. Little did I know that the Fairmont in some locations actually offers amazing deals for people there on government business, so I did get to stay at the Fairmont Vancouver when I was there in August. It was a hotel room like most others, so I've got to say, I'm not sure the money spent on the Fairmont name is worth it... But at least now I can say I've stayed at a Fairmont.


Totem pole across the street from the BC legislature in Victoria. There were a few of these scattered on the grounds.

Fountain at the Royal BC Musem. Super pretty. Lots of birds around, too, and relatively isolated. I was a bit sad I didn't get to go to the museum (I was going to go at one point, but it was going to close in less than an hour, and I didn't figure the $20 or whatever it was for admission was worth it).

Art Gallery in Downtown Vancouver. It was lovely.


Library Square, Vancouver. Several government offices are located in this complex. I found myself wondering if they'd gotten the idea for the architecture from the British Museum, or vice versa... Either way, the British Museum's courtyard feels much more airy and spacious, but this was still pretty cool.
Labels: , , edit post
2 Responses
  1. misssable Says:

    Nice photos!

    I just wanted to say thanks for commenting on my blog! I'm so excited that you have some auditions lined up this weekend and hopefully you found some of my Edmonton choir links handy. Once you decide on a group, let me know, since it's great getting to know other choristers!


  2. Linda Says:

    The Fairmont Empress, Victoria is also my favorite place. I used to visit and bring my friends to this place when they come to visit my city. I even met my fiance 1st time at this place.