Of anniversaries
So, I've gone back and looked, but I didn't blog about it.

A year ago today, I was having a bitch of a time. It was ridiculously hot outside, I wasn't sleeping properly, I was trying to balance three jobs... It was roughly a year ago (I don't have the date marked in my calendar or anything, but I know it was around the middle of July) that I got as close as I had ever been to a nervous breakdown.

I finished a cemetery tour, walked home, had a bath, went to bed... I couldn't sleep. For the umpteenth night in a row. My mind was racing, and my stress manifested itself in an intense paranoia of the mausoleum at the cemetery - it was like a malignant presence had followed me home and wouldn't let me rest. At about 2 a.m., I wrote an email to my boss and quit the cemetery tour contract. At about 4 a.m., still not able to sleep, I called in sick to work for the day. At about 8 a.m., I called my mother at work and arranged to meet her for lunch. I ended up sitting at a picnic table near Winston Churchill square munching on Taste of Edmonton Food, across from my mother, and bawling my eyes out. I made arrangements to sleep in their basement as much as possible for the next few weeks. The day after, I went and saw my doctor, who prescribed sleep aids to be taken on a short-term basis (there were 15 pills in the bottle, now, a year later, I've still got 9 left...). I slowly got better. With sleep and only trying to balance two jobs, I felt relaxed again.

My cemetery tour boss was quite understanding. I've been blessed with supervisors that are wonderful and empathetic. My supervisor at the U was the same.

Nevertheless, another summer is looming, and I have signed myself up to work cemetery tours again. I would like to say that I'm not terrified. I would like to say that I'm confident I can do this and that it won't negatively affect me. After all, I'm getting good sleep this summer (yay air conditioner!), I'm not trying to balance three jobs, I have a social life, I know that I have friends and family that are there to support me.

But that's one of the catches of having a mental illness, I suppose. Whenever I feel achy or tired, I wonder if I'm falling back into depression. Whenever I think of the cemetery and the mausoleum, my confidence takes a nosedive and I wonder if I'm really up for it. So far I'm only scheduled to be there one night, and with someone else, so we'll see how it goes. I'm trying to convince myself that I will kick this things ass and get past it. After all, the way to tackle a phobia is to face it and deal with it, right?

Either way, good vibes would be extremely welcome for me from about 7 - 8:30 on Wednesday night. And if you're interested, there's a super-awesome tour of Edmonton Cemetery (117 Street and 107 Ave) this Wednesday at 7 p.m. for only $5.
3 Responses
  1. george Says:

    I think the fear exists in the dark recesses of our minds and choose to haunt us at the most inconvenient of times, and over things that one doesn't always expect to be affected by. Facing one's fears is a good course of action, but doing something that will worsen a situation is not. I really hope that the tour goes well and that this year it won't be an issue...but don't stay if it doesn't feel right. My two cents, for what their worth. Hugs...


  2. (((HUGS)))) Sending lots of positive vibes your way, Kate. And if I wouldn't live on the other side of the planet, I so would take that tour! Best of luck, sweetie!


  3. How did the tour go, Kate? I hope it wasn't as bad as you feared!

    RE: notebook bags: yesterday I bought a Crumpler bag for everyday use (the Filofax leather bag is for use at conferences and other such occasions where you have to look super-professional). The Crumpler looks great and seems to be extremely sturdy. There are lots of pockets inside for convenient storage of notebook accessories and cellphone, camera, etc. And there's a 30-year guarantee on the bag! (Wow, by that time I'll be 61 ....)