Another slow day
Or at least it's shaping out to be.

So I brought a personal project to work on as well - my great-grandmother's journals. I've decided that since I don't have the facilities to store them properly I should probably attempt to conserve them in another format - so I've been typing them out. Good ole' Word. So that will be occupying my downtime today.

Don't get me wrong, the journals aren't anything particularly interesting. Most of the entries are maybe two lines. Her grammar was horrible. But it's _my_ ancestors, and what they managed to do on a day-to-day basis, right? So at least it's interesting to me. Not to mention that they cover some really interesting periods in history - they start at 1929 and finish around 1950. The Depression and WWII. How neat, eh?

I would probably go through more of my mother's genealogy work that she did in the 70s, but unfortunately I don't have my family tree program on the computer at work and I'm not about to haul my laptop here. No room, no point, too heavy.

So there you have it. I will likely be spending quite a bit of my day typing. We'll see. Maybe things will pick up today.
Labels: , edit post
5 Responses
  1. Magnolia Says:

    Wow, it may not say much, but that is such a valuable family artifact. Should talk to TK about the conservation aspect. . . you would hate to lose the original.


  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. I totally had to delete my last comment-it didn't make sense! I have tried to scan old posts to see how things are going! I hope all is well. I am assuming you are back home now, it looks that way. How's the job? Hope all is well! It feels good to be back around...


  4. Magnolia Says:

    TK said that you can get acid-free storage materials (folders, boxes etc) from the Provincial Archives, and that storing them in a cool dry place is best. That's all you need unless there are other issues such as mold. He also said you can talk to a conservator through the Prov. Archives if you do have specific concerns, and you can always donate them to an archive if long-term preservation is an issue. Hope that helps!


  5. Anonymous Says:

    in terms of the comments and rolled eyes...isn't any quest for factual documentation to ferret out the truth of the past part of history? everybody was related to somebody...we're all connected. history is history. or herstory if you really feel strongly about it.