Ennui
So...

Like I said, my supervisor more or less liked my first draft of my dissertation. Yay! The problem is, however, that I don't know whether he hasn't pointed out all sorts of flaws because he just can't be bothered or whether it's because he actually thinks it's good. Or whether he thinks it's as good as my work is going to get. Either way, I don't have that much in the way of editing to do, so I've been sitting here with nothing to do most of the time.

I ordered a complete Seasons 1-7 DVD set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but that still hasn't arrived (and if it hasn't by the end of the week, I'm cancelling the order - it's money that I could use on something else if the DVDs aren't going to be around - I've been waiting a month already because it was on back order... stupid Region coding... My laptop will only play me Region 1 DVDs so I can't just walk into HMV and buy something here. Frustrating!).

I've worked on some transcriptions for a genealogy project. In 1678, after St Paul's burned down, a whole bunch of parishes all over the UK got together and said, hey, let's have everyone contribute a few shillings to rebuilding St. Paul's.... and so there are lists of these donations, but they're all handwritten in 17th century handwriting - like this one:

So we've been transcribing them and uploading them onto the internet for other family history researchers to take a look at and use as a resource. But even that hasn't been taking up too much of my time, as I've only had a few parishes to tackle.

If you think you might have ancestors from Devon, UK, at the parish of Beaford from around 1678, their names might be on that list...

But, anyway...

I'm still volunteering a day a week at the Minster Library, so that consumes my Mondays, at least.

None of the clubs or anything are still running on campus, what with all of the undergrads gone home, so I have no more bells to play, and I can't even take an aerobics class without walking 45 minutes to get there, and that sort of defeats the purpose... I might as well just walk for 45 minutes. In that regard, I can't wait to get back to Edmonton.

I've been cross-stitching as well, but the problem is that I usually cross-stitch whilst watching TV or a movie or something... but I've not got a TV and I've watched all my DVDs, like, 5 times. I was told I should post some 'completed' shots... So here you go:

The first one is "Twilight Angel" by Dimensions Gold Collection. She's cute, she's fun, and she made me hate French knots even more than I already did.

The second one is an initial 'D' from the Book of Kells (now in Trinity College library in Dublin. Both are on aida, as I'm still getting over my fear of linens and the like. I have on the go a wedding present for my friend A who's getting married on September long weekend (it's so not going to be finished in time...) and one that a friend T sent me after she visited a few weekends ago as a thank-you gift. I'm going to owe her rather more bigtime soon enough, as she's going to be proofreading my dissertation for me and letting me come visit her in Cambridge later on this year. I'm looking forward to it!

I've also got a crochet sweater on the go, but I'm having a bitch of a time with the neckline, so i might give up for a bit (I've ripped it out three times already and don't really want to have to rip it out again).

So, yeah, if I'm not blogging very often it's 'cuz, as I mentioned a few posts ago... I've not got a lot to say. I'm taking boring to a whole new level these days.
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Allo!
    I am also working on cross-stitching (that angel in a garden for the last year and a bit) - and I TOO am afraid of linen; but some day I may have to conquer that fear.
    Congrats and kudos on the dissertation ma belle! I think it's good news all around.
    Also - while in TO I've watched Season 3 of Buffy and am currently halfway through Season 2. YAY!
    Miss you to bits.


  2. genderist Says:

    1. I didn't know you were a Buffy person! What a fun show. But I can't lie -- I'm a super Angel fan. But Buffy's cool, too...

    2. Cross stich... too cute! I have a hard time getting into mine because the cat goes nuts when I do... she thinks the string is hers!

    3. Muchos congrats-o on the slap-happy dissertation. I knew you'd blow it out of the water.