10/08... or not
So, this morning UK Police, Scotland Yard and MI-5 managed to foil an alleged terror plot to blow up half a dozen planes on the way from the UK to the States.

I have nothing really to say about the political implications, the international relations, etc. You can read about what's going on at

BBC News (United Kingdom)

CNN News (United States)

CBC News (Canada)

After reading all this, my biggest concern became this (and I'm sorry that my brain is so selfish and me-centred, but perhaps that's my way of dealing with this sort of thing):

If the new security measures continue through October 19, how the hell am I going to get my laptop home? I'm not about to trust it to a baggage handler at Heathrow, then some at Calgary, then one at Edmonton. No. Uh-uh. I've seen what they do to bags. No way. I may have to send it via DHL - I still have the box and padding from when I had to send it away for repairs.

Concern number two would be how I'm going to spend 8 hours on a flight without a book to read.

I'm such a bad person.

I Am Reading
Academically: Not a damn thing. Although I should really work on a paragraph of my dissertation. In fact, I think that's what I'll do now.
For Fun: Victorian London (Liza Picard).
Pile of Books on my Windowsill: Um... dunno... 6 or 7 (they're not all actually on my window sill at the moment)
5 Responses
  1. Maybe this is how paranoid I am, but when I heard about it, I couldn't help but worry because I thought for some reason that your trip home to Canada was coming up this week or next. I guess we are all guilty of trying to figure out what the implications for all of this means in our own little world. I was worried about not being able to bring a book on the plane to L.A. in September, so I completely empathize with the sometimes seemingly trivial changes that result from living in a new world with new threats.


  2. Sarah Says:

    I agree with UP--things don't mean much unless they affect us in some way. I empathize with your worry about your laptop, your books, and your sanity. Like so many precautions, this is a reaction, not a prevention, and therefore, its ineffective. I advise if the measures are still in place in a month, see if you can book a repositioning cruise, and sail for a week, then take the train home. It will be much more relaxing, and you will be allowed to keep your personal effects close to you. Air travel is not so glamourous that you can suffer through it without a book.


  3. Sarah Says:

    PS: Since Dad was a former Baggage Handler DO NOT check anything you regard as precious. Baggage Handlers treat people's property terribly, and sometimes on purpose. Ship the laptop!


  4. genderist Says:

    Mail that sucka!


  5. Anonymous Says:

    It just makes me wonder what's going on in the world...
    I'm flying out of TO today - we're not even allowed any liquids through security. Nice eh?