Of masochism
I did something today that I'm really ont sure what the hell I was thinking.

I asked my boss at The Body Shop to see if there would be a possibility that I could transfer to the other company location in the city, at a rather large mall on the west end of the city.

I was there, thinking about the money I was earning. The discounts I get on the products that I use on a daily basis. What the hell would I really do with myself on an extra day on the weekend (ok, besides clean my place, and my place really does need it, I'll admit it)? And so I wrote her a note asking if she could see about the possibility.

I'm justifying it because I'd like to buy a car in the next couple of years. And the more money I have saved up for a deposit, the better. Hell, I could even buy a used car outright. And the commute to WEM is much less nasty than the commute to where I'm located right now (bus service runs AT LEAST every 30 mins, so I wouldn't have to leave my place 1.5 hours before I need to be there - I could get it down to 1 hour, max - most trips are only 35-45 mins).

And the ultimate irony? One of my friends just got a job at a third TBS location - the difference being that this third location (at a shopping mall on the east-ish end of town) is one of the franchises in town and the owner doesn't have to worry about the company's bottom line, so long as they're making a profit. Thank god. I asked my friend to ask if they needed someone on weekends (since really, that's all I can work).

I guess, really, I'm just afraid of change. And the extra money is nice. I've been whinging incessantly about the Body Shop and really was considering changing, but now that it's hit me that in a month and a half, I'll not have it any more... I'm ridiculously emotional and sad about it.

I'll give a real weekend a go this weekend (I have Friday, Sunday, Monday, and TUESDAY off from both places of work!) and see if I go nuts. If not, I might be prepping my resume to hand into the Franchise owner (she runs all the stores that are not my store and WEM in town... either way, it's about the same distance to get to any of those from my place... much more convenient than where I am now...)...

Maybe if I take the summer off and then go back?

Dammit, I'm so confused. I'm so used to being busy I don't know what to do with myself when I'm not! I wish that these options hadn't opened up for me to just slide into the same job in another location - no learning a new system, no learning new product, just changing location... I mean... I thought I WANTED this out of my life and now that it's potentially going to be gone, it's like I'm pulling out all the stops to keep what I can of it...

Someone just smack me upside the head.




I Am Reading:
Quasi-Academically: The Life of Saint Philip Neri (Antonio Gallonio)
For Fun:
Le Morte d'Arthur (Malory)
Pile of unread books on my bookshelf: way too many...
Labels: , , edit post
1 Response
  1. Magnolia Says:

    I'm not going to bash you over the head.
    But here is some food for thought... yes, extra cashola is lovely and having financial goals is smart, and if that is the main reason for wanting to keep it all up, then certainly, looking for ways to stay in TBS system makes good sense for all the reasons you describe.
    But if it's the stir-craziness that worries you... well, from one girl who can't sit still to another, there are lots of ways to fill that void. You could...Take a course in something that you feel passionate about (academically or otherwise); volunteer somewhere fun; find another way for you to keep being involved in music--another group or private lessons... the possibilities are endless.

    There's nothing wrong with staying with TBS--just as long as you know that it is only one item in a long list of options of things that could keep you busy.