Of auditions
04Jun2009

Had to re-audition for the choir tonight. Short, sweet, simple. Sing a piece, do a little sight-reading in terms of rhythm, do a little sight singing (horrible at the sight singing... *sigh*).

This afternoon I had some serious self-doubt issues. The piece I wanted to sing wasn't feeling right ("Flow My Tears" by John Dowland, in case anyone is interested), so I dug through my old music and tried to find something else that would suit. I found "When Love Is Kind" - a poem of Thomas Moore's set to an old English melody that I sang back in high school... and it was feeling a little better.

I walked into the audition still not quite sure which I'd end up singing. I even asked the accompanist whether she was tired (the accompaniment to the Dowland is ridiculously easy)... and when she indicated she didn't really care, I finally decided to go with WLIK.

Score! It's a ridiculously short piece (probably only about a minute long), but apparently it shows off my "range and range of emotions", so I think the audition went well (in spite of my inability to pick out intervals when sight singing). Did let them know I might not be there in fall, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I've been on course for work this week, so have managed to avoid doing any "real" work thus far, including even checking my emails. It's been great! I'll probably have to do some tomorrow, though. Especially since I'm off to Saskatoon for more training next week. It's been pretty good, and I've enjoyed the change in pace, a lot.
0 Responses