Of Arctic adventures
So, I'm back.

I had a fun trip. It meant that work has backed up like no one's business, and I'm ridiculously behind, and have worked extra hours many days - I've been in the office for 5 hours the last two Saturdays, on Tuesday I worked from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m... Hence the no blogging. I escaped early today to go to a Dr's appointment. It was pretty exciting. No, I'm serious. I left work ON TIME. I haven't done that since before Christmas, I don't think.

Anywho, the Arctic was pretty nifty. I don't think I could spend any length of time up there. Well, maybe Yellowknife, but not Iqaluit. When we got off the plane and went into Iqaluit, it was so cold, so isolated, so desolate... I looked out my hotel window and was about ready to cry for a bit. But I got over it. The office was small and cute, the people friendly, and the culture amazing. In the airport in Rankin inlet, you saw women carrying their children in the oversized hoods of their beautifully embroidered parkas...

But I leave you with some photos...

Interior of Bullock's Bistro in Yellowknife. A teensy place with seating for maybe a couple dozen people. Great, locally caught fish, though.

Iqaluit from the hotel window. Or at least part of Iqaluit from the hotel window. For a town of 6000 people, it seems to sprawl all over.


Fresh fruit and veg are flown in - there's not enough sunlight in the winter to even greenhouse it, and the cost would be prohibitive. So you get $27.29 jalapeno peppers instead.


View out the window from the office. Showing a raven and a typically dressed Iqaluitian. :)
Labels: , edit post
2 Responses
  1. genderist Says:

    It looks COOOLD!!


  2. Tina Says:

    Just catching up on your blog, I saw that you've fallen prey to a very old misconception. Inuit women don't carry their babies in their hoods, but strapped to their back under their parka. The hoods are so big in part to make sure the top of the babies' heads are covered.

    I was recently reading some correspondence from the 1940s on this same topic! Amazing how some myths persist...