Of San Francisco
So I arrived here last night, about two hours delayed. I have no idea why out flight was delayed, but by the time I got to the airport and checked in, it was showing a 1-hour delay, which later turned into 1 hour and 40 minutes. By the time I took public transit and got to my friends A&M's house, it was close to 9 p.m. SF time (ie: close to 10 p.m. Mountain, where I usually hang out). Ah well, what can you do?

People-watching at the airport was entertaining - there was one guy in heels and a skirt and earrings and makeup and the like. Which, in principle, I don't have a problem with. I work with a transgendered individual, and she's absolutely lovely. Having said that, she does it right. She finds clothes that fit, that are fairly in style, that look good on her. She takes time to do her hair, has it cut nice and femininely, etc. Dude at the airport sure didn't. I was sure he was going to be on my flight (after all, SF is known for its liberal culture when it comes to that sort of thing), but nope, he got on a flight to Chicago. And yes, I'm using he to describe this guy deliberately. If you can make an effort and apply yourself, you get to be called she. If you look like dude at the airport, still dressed in a guy's shirt along with your skirt, heels, and makeup, you're still a he. :-S

I popped over to Starbucks at one point to see about getting a tea and something to munch on, since I was going to be sitting there a while. When I got back to my seat, a whole team of paramedics and EMTs is going to work on some guy a couple of rows over. They were, like, stealth squad. Totally hadn't even heard them come in, or heard anyone call for them, or call for help, or anything. It was pretty impressive. They worked on the guy for what must have been close to 45 minutes (I don't know - I was sitting with my back to him, and the did eventually put up a screen around the area), before wheeling him out, attached to an IV and an oxygen mask. I was still really impressed with their stealthiness, though. If it hadn't been for the people across the row from me staring over my shoulders, I never would have realized they were leaving.

A&M have a lovely place only three blocks from Golden Gate Park, which I think is what I'll spend most of the day exploring today. It's not the clearest of days, but at least it's not ridiculously foggy, so it should be pretty good. I think I'll have to buy a long-sleeved shirt or a sweatshirt at the concert tonight - it's only set to get up to about 16 degrees today, so while it's not cold, it's not exactly warm, either, and I definitely packed for slightly warmer weather (the weather network was showing the temp hovering around 20 all weekend).

Ciao for now!
1 Response
  1. genderist Says:

    I enjoy people watching at the airport, but it gets old after 5 or 6 hours...