Of things
So.

I still don't have my official letter of offer.

Having said that, they did sneak me a "sneak preview" copy via email on Thursday.

I start September 2.

And I won't have to move.

Heck, I'll barely have to move offices - it's in the same building, just a different floor.

Oddly enough, after all the worrying about moving and not knowing what the heck was up with everything, I'm slightly disappointed. I was sort of hoping for a change, an upheaval, and knowing that the possibility was there that I could have to pick up and move at a proverbial moment's notice was both a stressor and an extremely exciting prospect. I'd even sort of started scoping out places in the cities they might have sent me to. I was looking forward to catching up with people in those cities.

In the long run, though, it's WONDERFUL that I don't have to move (at least not for another year yet). My salary will be going up substantially, my cost of living only a little. I'll be able to save some more money. Buy a car or go travelling sooner. Take piano and/or voice lessons again. My office environment will be a little less structured. I might actually be able to take an hour for lunch every so often if I skip coffee breaks or stay a little later. I'm actually hoping to work something out with them so I can continue to work a compressed schedule, but we'll see how that goes.

In other news, my fantasy football team is currently sucking. But that's ok. It's my fantasy.

I really wish I was back in Europe and could just head to a pub and have a pint and watch the game. When I was there, even if I ended up sitting in the college bar at a table by myself with my schoolwork spread out in front of me, there was SUCH an atmosphere of fun, welcoming acceptance. It's pretty odd how football fans in Europe (provided you're supporting the same team) will just open their tables/arms/comeraderie to you. There was one day I went by myself to watch a friendly match between England and Jamaica in a pub in York. It was crowded (as I knew it would be), and I was prepared to stand. Instead, this lovely older gentleman from the North found an extra chair and a spot for me to sit. He continued to chat away as we waited for the game to start - wondering what his wife was out buying (she was in York for a shopping trip) and commenting on his favourite players (I learned more about Michael Owen that day than I ever needed to know). It's definitely one of my favourite memories from my time overseas.

I seriously hope that at some point I manage to get to an international competition like the Euro someday. I don't think I have any hope in hell for 2010 World Cup tix. :)
Labels: , , edit post
1 Response
  1. Patricia Says:

    I was thinking of you last night... I was wondering whether you were watching and who with.
    The European expat community in Dakar is of course interested in football. I watched the France-NL game at a party last night, a party thrown by a French/Dutch couple. You can imagine the atmosphere! The Dutch played fantastic football (there I support two teams, being French and German, and both suck this year... too bad! *g*) and the party was fantastic, too. You'd have had a blast!
    Oh, and may I suggest the local youth hostel or backpackers' hostel (or the bars nearby) to find people interested in the Euro 2008?