Of bad things happening
Ok, if bad things happen in threes, then I'm wondering what the kicker will be...

1) Dad, skin cancer, see previous post.

2) I applied for a couple of nice, permanent, full-time-with-benefits positions in my department of the university. The first position I probably wouldn't have applied for if I hadn't been encouraged by the person who would be supervising that position. The second position I was waffling about, and probably wouldn't have gotten my hopes up about applying if it hadn't been for encouragement from the same individual. I found out about a week ago that I didn't get the first job, and found out today that I didn't get the second. It was down to two candidates for both positions - myself and another individual - and I didn't get either. I'm trying not to take it personally, but when you've been encouraged to apply for the jobs, it feels like a slap in the face when you don't get either. To make matters worse, I have to work with members of the hiring committee on a very close basis for the duration of my contract with the uni. I am NOT looking forward to going to work for the next couple of weeks, and watching the candidates that got 'my' jobs come in and do things precisely the way I wouldn't have.

So what'll #3 be? Anyone want to take bets? So not impressed with the world right now.

Having said that, though, this isn't really anything that bawling my eyes out for a bit and scarfing down a ton of ice cream won't fix (unlike #1, where I get to have a nagging worry sitting in the back of my head for however long it takes).

I've also applied for a job with the City of Edmonton that was recently vacated by a certain MA History grad that I know... although if I can't get myself hired by people who know me, like me, and know what an excellent worker I am, then what hope in hell do I have of getting hired by strangers?

And the cemetery tour gig is going to be a ton of fun - M McD is going to lend me some backup for the first couple of tours (and as far as I'm concerned, he can talk about his own family in that cemetery - I'm not going to pretend to be an expert!).

And my score for some of the music from Spamalot arrived today, so I will be sitting at the piano and playing with that. Perhaps with some ice cream.
1 Response
  1. genderist Says:

    I always liked playing Rachmaninoff when I was angry. He had great, bangy music. :)